WHERE WE ARE LOCATED
The Hix Island House is located on the Spanish Virgin Island of Vieques, just off the southeast corner of mainland Puerto Rico. We are a short 22 minute flight from San Juan, which is conveniently located within 3 hours of the eastern seaboard of the United States.
On Vieques, Hix Island House is situated along the backbone hill that runs through the island, strategically located to capture the trade winds that cool the region.
Sun Bay, the largest beach on Vieques is a short 7 minute drive to the south, while the airport is equally distanced to our North. The more popular beaches on the Fish & Wildlife Refuge are about 15 minutes away, on the eastern side of the island. Esperanza is 7 minutes south of us, while Isabel II is 10 minutes to the Northeast.
The best beaches, shopping, restaurants, and grocery stores are located throughout Vieques; for that reason we recommend you rent a vehicle while on-island. Your stay will be much more pleasant if you do.
How To Get Here
From San Juan
· Fly from San Juan International Airport to Vieques (about 22 minutes).
· Fly from San Juan Isla Grande Airport to Vieques (about 25 minutes).
· Take a taxi to Fajardo, and then the ferry to Vieques. The trip from San Juan to Fajardo is about 1.5 hours, depending on traffic. The passenger ferry from Fajardo to Vieques is another 1.5 hours.
· Take a taxi to Ceiba International Airport, and then catch a plane to Vieques. The trip from San Juan to Ceiba is about 1.5 hours, depending on traffic. The flight from Ceiba to Vieques is 7 minutes.
From Fajardo, Puerto Rico
· Take the passenger ferry to Vieques. The trip takes about 1.5 hours, and tickets must be bought one hour before departure.
· Take a taxi to Ceiba International Airport, and then catch a plane to Vieques. Taxi ride is about 10 minutes, while the flight is 7.
From Ceiba, Puerto Rico
· Fly from Ceiba International Airport to Vieques (about 7 minutes).
From St. Croix, USVI
· Fly from St. Croix International Airport to Vieques (about 40 minutes)
From St. Thomas, USVI
· Fly from St. Thomas International Airport to Vieques, (about 20 minutes).
We recommend that our guests travel to Vieques by air because the ferry boat schedule can often change without notice and there are limited ticket sales for island visitors.
If you still feel the need to take the ferry, you can try to buy tickets in advance by contacting the transportation authority via e-mail at : email@example.com This may give you better luck than trying to buy tickets at the walk-up window.
We suggest all guests purchase travel insurance, in the event there are delays or cancellations in traveling to Vieques. This is highly suggested if you are thinking of traveling by ferry! Not being able to get to Vieques will result in still having to pay for your stay at Hix Island House, so we suggest you not take the ferry, and do buy travel insurance.